Enhance Your Vision
Eye assessments that help you go beyond 20/20
to ensure you have the best vision for life
Why Choose Russo Optometry
Most people don’t realise there is more to vision than simply seeing 20/20. Poor vision can affect many areas in you and your family’s daily life, and it is important to find a quality independent optometrist that is just as passionate about helping you make the most of your vision as you are.
From behavioural optometry, to our range of comprehensive eye care services and new patient appointments, to our 30 years of experience and extensive training, we can detect and treat vision problems that can go beyond just needing glasses. At Russo Optometry, our eyecare services can help you and your family better protect your eyes and vision, resulting in a clearer, healthier life.
We are independent, we provide comprehensive care and we are passionate about helping you get the most out of your vision.
What to do when smoke gets in your eyes
As bushfire conditions escalate and fires continue to rage across Australia, a smoke haze has been blanketing many parts of the country.
While this unprecedented disaster is wreaking havoc on people, homes and animals, authorities are also concerned about the potential for thick plumes of smoke to cause health problems.
The Air Quality Index - or AQI - is a yardstick that runs from 0 to 500. The higher the AQI value, the greater the level of air pollution and the greater the health concern. Fine particle pollution over 200 can cause serious health issues, such as burning or itchy eyes, throat irritation and a runny nose.
Eye health practitioners, such as optometrists, have already seen an influx of patients with strong eye discomfort and irritation as a result of the extra particles in the air at the moment.
Luke Arundel, Optometry Australia’s Chief Clinical Officer, said people who already suffer from eye conditions such as dry eye, blepharitis or allergic conjunctivitis are especially susceptible to the burning and stinging eye pain that smoke can cause.
Here are some simple ways to reduce the effects of smoke to the eyes:
- Lubricate - One of the best ways to alleviate irritation in your eyes is to lubricate them with eye drops or artificial tears which you can buy over the counter. People with underlying conditions already using eye drops may wish to double their application until the smoke dissipates.
- Don’t rub - Be careful to NOT rub your eyes which can worsen the irritation.
- Take a break from contacts - Contact lens wearers may find smoke particularly problematic, and should give their eyes a break from contact lens use if their eyes are experiencing irritation.
- Cool your eyes - Lying down with a cold compress over your eyes can be soothing.
- Stay indoors – particularly if you have an underlying condition that makes you more sensitive to smoke, such as dry eye, it’s best to stay indoors as much as possible.
- Wear glasses or goggles – Specialty goggles that are often prescribed to patients with dry eye can be an effective option for people experiencing sensitivity to smoke in the air. And close-fitting glasses or sunglasses will provide at least some barrier to particle pollution.
- See your optometrist – If your symptoms persist after trying these tips, make an appointment to see your optometrist who may be able to prescribe a more specific treatment.
Article from Good Vision for Life (Jan 6, 2020)
Eyewear to enhance your style
At our Dandenong practice, we have a selection of over 1000 frames to choose from and are continuously updating our selection of styles to complete your look.
As our practice is 100% independent, we are more than happy to access any brands required to help match your unique style.
Our offered services
At Russo Optometry, we offer an extensive range of eye care services, to ensure that you can stay on top of the health of your vision. Our offered services include:
Comprehensive Eye Examination
Contact Lens Examination and Fitting
Dry Eye Management
Foreign Body Removal
And much, much moreView Latest Frames
About Our Team
Our passionate and highly experienced team of 4 behavioural optometrists and support staff are here to help you achieve the vision and style you want, to get the most out of life.About the Team
5 easy activities to enhance your child's vision
All parents want the best vision for their children. We've designed 5 easy activities to help your child get the most out of their vision.
Latest Offers for You
At Russo Optometry, we’re proud to be the chosen eye clinic for local residents in Dandenong, Beaconsfield, Berwick, Glen Waverley, Keysborough, Endeavour Hills, Cranbourne and Narre Warren. Whether you require behavioural optometry services, orthokeratology or a standard eye examination, our team of optometrists are here for you.View Offers