Myopia (or short-sightedness) is a common eye condition where distance objects are not seen clearly. It is becoming more prevalent and is now occurring in younger patients.
There are a number of risk factors that increase the likelihood of becoming short sighted. These include:
- Genetics, with the risk of myopia increasing when one or both parents are short-sighted
- Increased use of screen based devices
- Decreased amount of time spent outdoors
At Russo Optometry, we want to help stop or slow the progression of your myopia. Myopia can be associated with a higher risk of retinal detachments, macula changes and glaucoma, and will mean you have to permanently have glasses or contact lenses.
Below are some strategies that can help prevent or slow the onset of your myopia:
- Glasses for reading and screen time to reduce strain on the eyes (if applicable)
- Significantly reduce time on screens such as iPads and computers, and increase breaks from close work (20 minutes on/off)
- Increase time spent outdoors (at least 2-3 hours per day)
If you or your child are already myopic, your Optometrist may suggest one of the following to correct your vision and aim to prevent progression:
- Single vision glasses: These glasses are great at correcting vision, however do not have a large impact on slowing myopia progression.
- Multifocal (progressive) glasses: Multifocal glasses correct your distance vision and can moderately slow myopia progression.
- Multifocal soft contact lenses: These can be great for correcting vision and can significantly slow progression.
- Orthokeratology (sleep lenses): Specially designed contact lenses correct your vision while you sleep, without having to wear lenses during the day. These can significantly slow myopia progression.
- Atropine eye drops: These specially formulated eyedrops can significantly slow myopia progression, however glasses or contact lenses are also required to correct vision.
All of our Optometrists have completed additional study in myopia control and can help you to decide the best and most practical option for you and your child to ensure you can have great vision for life.